It’s museum night of the year! For the 13th straight time, Night of Museums, one of the most spectacular cultural event held across Croatia, will be held on Friday 26th of January.
There are 3 super amazing things you should know about the event.
1. It is held throughout the entire country.
2. All admissions are free.
3. Specially created tours are available for every single museum and they are all free as well. All you need to do is download the Cultural Places app on your phone to enjoy them.
So, is there a reason not to come?
This year the theme of the Night of Museums will be sports and more than 200 museums are taking place in this magnificent evening. Yes, that’s right. More than 200 museums offering there art and culture to everyone for free.
Isn’t culture just great?
Night of Museums – 15 places you cannot miss
First of all, let us tell you that each of the places that are included in the list has something unique to offer. Each of them is special in their own way. There is no doubt about it. But, to make it easy, we have selected 15 museums that we believe you will like. Museums that offer a wide range of interesting activities that will make your own Night of Museums truly memorable.
And that’s not all!
We also have agendas prepared. Everything that is happening in these 15 places. Hour by hour. All the events, exhibitions, performances…it’s all here.
All you need to do is decide which museum you are going to visit first.
So, now when we have this thing all settled. Ready to embrace some culture?
1. Archaeological Museum Dubrovnik
About the Museum: The artefacts of the Archaeological Museum are divided into eight collections, covering a period of time from the early Neolithic to the second half of the 17th century.
- 18:00-01:00: Exhibition The early medieval sculpture in Dubrovnik and its surroundings
- 18:00-01:00: Exhibition of Roman Gold Earrings from the Archaeological Museum in Zagreb
- 18:00-18:30: Guided tour through the exhibitions “The Early Medieval Sculpture in Dubrovnik and the surrounding area” and “The Roman Gold Earrings from the Archaeological Museum in Zagreb”
- 20:30-22:30: Roman Evenings – Educational Workshops, Lecture, Preparation and Tasting of Roman Food by Recipe from Cookbook Olivian Cibalitian Cookbook
- 22:30-23:00: Guided tour through the exhibitions “The Early Medieval Sculpture in Dubrovnik and the surrounding area” and “The Roman Gold Earrings from the Archaeological Museum in Zagreb”
2. Astronomical Centre Rijeka
About the Museum: Visit this unique centre that popularizes various sciences and has a number of specialities. Among other things, it is the first and only astronomical centre in Croatia that unites the observatory and the planetarium and it possesses the only digital planetarium in Croatia.
- 18:00 h First time I looked at the sky, show, Digital Planetarium
- 18:30 h Dinosaurs Age, lecture, Big Hall
- 19:00 h Star Game, show, Digital Planetarium
- 19:30 h The most common questions about the Universe, lecture, Big Hall
- 20:00 h Race to the Earth, film, Digital Planetarium
- 20:30 h Space Race, lecture, Big Hall
- 21:00 h Back to the Moon, film, Digital Planetarium
- 21:30 h Be quicker and smoother – astronomical quiz, Big Hall
- 22:00 h In search of comets, show, Digital Planetarium
- 22:30 h A quest for a new Earth, lecture, Digital Planetarium
- 23:30 h Presentation of Astrophotography
Exhibition of old telescopes. Observation through telescopes. Microworld in microscope workshop.
What is amazing?
Space Workshops: The fastest space painter (18:00-20:00 h, for youngsters) and The highest space hand (20:00-22:00 h, for adults)
3. AQUATIKA – Freshwater Aquarium Karlovac
About the Museum: The freshwater aquarium Aquatika is a public institution created to meet the demands of children and youth, students, scientists, aquarists and the local population – not only to create awareness of extraordinary biological diversity but also to meet the demands and educate its visitors.
- 18:00: Animation for kids in the educational hall in the theme of fishing
- 19:00: Lecture by Kresimir Kurija: About sport fishing
- 21:00: Fire show Gabriele from Magmatic on the central square of Aquatics
About the Museum: The Vitturi Castle was built at the end of the 15th century and now hosts the Museum of the Town of Kaštela, the Tourism Board of Kaštela and some cultural institutions. Exhibitions, concerts and theatre shows take place there.
- 18:00-22:00: Exhibition Mountaineering – sport for the soul and body
- 18:00-22:00: Trlja – a play of our elders and other social games for children
- 19:00-20:00: KUD “Karol Woytila” performance from Kastel Kambelovac
- 20:30-24:00: Football 11 Exhibition
- 22:00-23:30: Concert M.O.R.T.
5. Bjelovar Municipal Museum
About the Museum: The museum collects, preserves and presents the most precious memories from the past of the inhabitants of Bjelovar and its area. A unique space in the city is the atrium of the museum with a stage where concerts, folklore events, theatre performances and book promotions are held.
Permanent display – NASTA ROJC GALLERY
- 20:00-20:30 h Exhibition opening:
Nine decades of motorcycling with Moto Club Bjelovar
Bjelovar sports on posters
- 20:30-21:00 h Conversation with members – competitors of Moto Club Bjelovar
- 21:00-22:00 h Golden Fleece – Argonauts from the Fishpond by Tibor Javurek movie projection
- 22:00-23:00 h A word with Bjelovar sports boatman: Tomislav Smrček, Captain of Argonauts, Mladen Ivezić, Captain of Foresters and Marijan Tomola Perković, Captain of Nereid.
About the Museum: The Trogir Town Museum represents the history of the city and its surroundings from early prehistory to the beginning of the 20th century.
- 09:00 and 18:30: Road Runner
- 18:00: Basketball match on the main city square
- 18:00: Joint viewing of the European Handball Championship Matches
- 19:30: Short Stories from the History of Sport in Trogir
- 21:00: Guided tour through the permanent exhibition
- 21:00: Tombola
About the Museum: This museum is specifically dedicated to collecting and exhibiting Croatian art from the 20th century and to putting it in an International Context.
- 18:00 – 19:00 Group M5: Horn-Pawlak – Excuse me, are you a witch?
- 19:00 – 20:00 and 23:00 – 0:00 Voice of the Artist / I AmThe Mouth – Works of Contemporary Artists from Central and Eastern Europe from Art CollectionTelekom Collection
- 19:00 – 20:00Turn in small football: team of artists, team of journalists and team of MSU – Garage MSU
- 19:30 – 20:30 permanent exhibition of MSU – Collection on the Move
- 20:00 – 21:00 Sportissimo pianissimo
- 21:00 – 23:00 Projections of sports films, Gorgona Hall
- Collection in Motion, Permanent MSU Setup
- Voice of the Artist / I AmThe Mouth – Works of Contemporary Artists from Central and Eastern Europe from Art Collection Telekom
- Vlatka Horvat: Extensions
- Dialogue (response form) -Yane Čalovski and Hristina Ivanoska
- Aleksandar Garbin
About the Museum: Historical and Maritime Museum of Istria is located on the highest hill in Pula, in an adapted Venetian fortress. The museum was founded in 1955 and from 1961 its work and exhibition spaces are located here.
- 18:00 h Boxing in Pula, exhibition opening
- 18:00-01:00 h Buzet on old postcards exhibition
- 18:00-01:00 h Freedom to the People! Anti-fascism in Istria exhibition
- 18:00-01:00 h Get together with boiled wine and tea
9. Museum of Knin
About the Museum: The museum is located in the southern part of the fort in Knin. The permanent exhibition shows ethnographic, archaeological, and also cultural-historical and geological-paleontological material.
CRKVICA SV. BARBARE
- Ethnographic heritage of the Knin area through the lens of Andrew Matković | EXHIBITION
GALLERY OF THE KNIN MUSEUM
- Image Exhibition of Nevena Petar Piližota: Figures | EXHIBITION
- Katarina Gugo: Discovering of a mosaic on an antique villa in Orlic | LECTURE
- Permanent exhibition of Knin Museum | EXHIBITION
About the Museum: The new Krapina Neanderthal Museum is located near the world famous site of the Krapina Neanderthals „Hušnjakovo“, which makes it a unique visiting complex.
- The World Champion at Krapina Early Man
- Permanent exhibition of the Krapina Neanderthal Museum
- The performance of Tihomir Bendel, the multiple European and world champion in Twirling and the Ludbreški maoretskin, multiple European champions in majjoret dance. Tihomir and Majors will unite: Sport and Krapina Early Man!
- Sale of souvenirs
About the Museum: The museum was founded in 1880 with the express purpose of creating “a collection of models for master craftsmen and artists to reinvigorate the production of everyday use items”. Today, it boasts a collection spanning many centuries and materials.
- The permanent exhibition of the MUO with a masterpiece – a picture of Virgin with the child by the great late-Renaissance painter Andrije Medulić Schiavone
- Contemporary artists in the permanent exhibition of MUO: Akiko Sato – Draw Attention!
- Ballet and passion – Donation JelkaYureshe
- Needles – fashion design by Igor Galaša
- Interlaced exhibition – exhibition of works from creative workshops of the MUO Pedagogical Department
- Practical Approach to Art – Visual Arts in the International Matura Program in XV. gymnasium in Zagreb
- The sixties in Croatia: Myth and Reality
At the Night of the Museum warm up with the music of the ’60s. Come and get involved in the ambience of the ’60s!
About the Museum: The Croatian Museum of Tourism, located in the one hundred and sixty-year-old villa tells the story about the history of tourism in Croatia, but also about how tourism affects all of us today – how our cities are changing, and how we change when we travel.
- SWITZERLAND HOUSE
Exhibition Greetings from Opatija
- ANGIOLINA VILLA
19:00: Exhibition of Hommage à dr. Julius Glax
Exhibition Czechs – guests and triggers of Adriatic tourism
Exhibition Postcards as an Opatija tourist chronograph
Exhibition of Posters on HMT (2007 – 2017)
- ART PAVILION “JURAJ SPORTOR”
Academics – art artists in Opatija
Dušan Džamonja (exhibition opening from 18:00 to 21:00)
About the Museum: Founded in 1915, the museum reopened in 1992 with its permanent exhibition. Visitors can see a great fundus presenting the cultural and historical heritage of the city.
- We are all athletes – Sporty welcome and sporty guidance
- Permanent exhibition
- Join the Friends Club of Split City Museum and Promotional Sales of Museum Publications and Souvenirs
14. Ivan Meštrović Memorial Gallery
About the Museum: This Memorial Gallery was opened in honour of the great Croatian and world sculptor and artist. In its permanent exhibition, it has 34 Meštrović’s works in bronze and plaster, created in the period 1905-1946.
- Ivan Meštrović works permanent display in Memorial Gallery
- The works of Ivan Meštrović in the Church of the Birth of St. John the Baptist, Vrpolje
- Sports in Vrpolje past and present exhibition
- Lecture: Historical development of sport in Vrpolje
- Music program MPS „Ivan Meštrović“ Vrpolje
About the Museum: Come and see the permanent exhibition in the home of the famous scientist Nikola Tesla and attend the demonstration of Tesla’s test facilities that will be held every hour.
- 18:00-23:00 h: By the way – Josip Tomaić exhibition
- 20:00-20:45 h: Velebit’s energetic lines of force – Velebit Nature Park
- 19:00, 20:00, 21:00, 22:00 h Demonstration of Tesla’s test facilities
So much to do and so little time?
No matter which museum you visit on Friday, we are sure you will have a great time. Bring your mother, father. Your wife, husband, kids. Bring your best friend. Bring people you did not see in a long time. See some new things you have never seen before. Learn some cool facts. Support the culture in your city.
Have plenty of fun.
You deserve it. 😉
P.S. You can find all the information about all the 200 museums here, in this app.