The City Hall building or the Magistrate, as it is also known as, was constructed in 1894 as a project by Georg Molnar, a well-known builder from Novi Sad. It is situated on the main town square.
Facts & Numbers
- The first Magistrate in the town was established in 1748 when Novi Sad acquired the status of a free royal town.
- Apart from Molnar, other prominent builders, such as Karl Lerer and Jožef Cocek, also participated in the construction of this impressive edifice.
- The final result was a monumental two-story building, built in the so-called Historicism style.
- The creators of the opulent façade decorations are renowned sculptors Julije Anika and Jovan Kistner.
- The ceremonial hall on the first floor is adorned with stucco decorations and paintings from 1911, which are the work of Pavle Ružička, an artist from Novi Sad.
- Today, City hall houses the Mayor’s office and some other relevant public service departments.
It is only possible to see building from the outside, 24/7.